Everybody must clean during the week/weekend, whether it’s a room, apartment, or house. Some people love to clean and organize (hello, me!) and some absolutely dread it. Today I am here to provide you with my cohesive weekend cleaning list to help you get a jump start on your spring cleaning!
For me, living in a clean and organized house brings me inner peace, so cleaning the house fully on the weekend is key to my peace during the week. During the week I just clean the kitchen daily and the rest of the house takes care of itself. I also have a Roomba for the dog hair, so that gets run 1-2 times per day so pet hair isn’t piling up, thank god.
Please note, I clean all these things every Saturday (or Sunday if I’m busy Saturday) and it takes me about 4-5 hours. I recognize not everybody has that type of time to clean, so pick and choose as you wish. I’m just listing it all out in case you happen to miss stuff when cleaning or if you want to do a deep clean spring cleaning.
So, without further ado, here’s my cleaning list:
- Throw in sheets and towels.
- To save space and reading, I do all my laundry in the same day. I do sheets and towels, dark clothes (usually 2 loads), and light clothes.
- Deep clean the kitchen.
- I remove all items from all my counter tops in the kitchen and triple clean the counters. Yes, you read that right, TRIPLE CLEAN. What does that mean? I use a sponge and dish soap to get any grease off the counter first. Then, I use my own homemade cleaner (vinegar, water, and lemon essential oil for scent) and wipe everything down a second time. Finally, I rub the counters down with lemon essential oil to create an everlasting scent for the week. My kitchen is INCREDIBLY clean. I don’t mess around with sanitation when it comes to food.
- You NEED to dust before you vacuum, in case dust particles get on the carpet and need to be vacuumed up. I dust EVERYTHING, tables, windowsills, bookshelves, bed posts, you name it. Nothing is off-limits. Everything needs to be dusted.
- I have to vacuum my living room, couch, dining room, the Hunky Engineer’s office, the stairs, bedroom, spare room, and my office. It’s a LOT of vacuuming, but I do it all in one fell swoop to get it out of the way. For our living room (the only carpet Toro is allowed on) I put down Pet Refresh, which is essentially a scented baking soda to absorb and mask scent. I’m obsessed with ensuring my home does not smell like we have a dog.
- Sweep the kitchen.
- Before mopping, I have to make sure all crumbs and dog hair are swept up from the kitchen. Our Roomba does an amazing job, but I always like to ensure I didn’t drop any crumbs on the floor when cleaning the kitchen and make sure under our table and chairs is fully cleaned.
- Mop the kitchen and bathrooms.
- Dog drool, spilled food (courtesy of the Hunky Engineer) and anything else MUST be mopped of the floor weekly. I currently have a Swiffer Wet Jet but I’m hoping to upgrade to something a bit stronger in the near future. Dog droll is way harder to mop up than you’d think! Plus, bathrooms absolutely need to be mopped once a week…I don’t think I even need to tell you why.
- Clean counters/mirrors in bathrooms.
- I remove EVERYTHING from the counters when I clean my bathrooms because I find that items get wet and when they get wet, they get…gross. So, move everything before you clean, okay? I also use my homemade cleaner for bathroom counters AND mirrors. It leaves no streaks, so take advantage.
And that’s it! All done! When I’m in the mood, I also wash my windows and remove all dog tongue and nose prints, but I’d be lying if I said I did that weekly. Sometimes, it’s just too exhausting.
I also fold all laundry and put it away, iron work clothing that needs to be ironed, and make our bed. It may seem like a lot (and some days it feels like it too) but with this cleaning list I feel ready to tackle each and every week without obsessing over the cleanliness of my house.
What does your cleaning routine look like? Let me know! I’m always ready for new tips and tricks on cleanliness and organization!