My chest workout
Back again! Today’s post is about chest. When I first started my fitness journey, I did chest twice a week and hated every minute of it. I’m a girl, you can’t see my chest muscles anyway, right? Wrong! Well, right about seeing muscles but wrong about not needing to do chest. The Hunky Engineer taught me that I need to work out my chest to balance out my back. However, now that I have been working out for a year (with macros and consistency), I have revamped my workouts to focus on what I want to develop this year. Currently, I only do chest once a week, so I can focus on building my back. Once winter hits, I’ll probably swap a chest and back day to rebalance everything.
Here is what my chest day looks like:
- Roll out my back until my muscles feel warm
- Stretch with a resistance band
- Dumbbell bench press – 4 sets of 8-10
- NOTE: Just this alone takes almost an hour between myself and the Hunky Engineer. Why? Because I take my time to focus on contracting the right muscles and really working my chest since I only do this muscle group once a week.
- Dumbbell incline bench press – 4 sets of 10-12
- Flat bench dumbbell chest fly – 4 sets of 12-15
- Dumbbell lying triceps extension – 4 sets of 6-8
- Cable triceps pushdown – 4 sets of 6-8
- Dumbbell seated triceps press – 4 sets of 10
- A mixture of ab exercises
- Walking on a treadmill at 5 incline for 20 minutes while the Hunky Engineer runs
Obviously, this is a pretty short chest workout because I use a LOT of my energy on my first exercise to make sure I am activating the right muscles. As my chest gets stronger and my endurance improves, I will add some chest movements with machines.
Have any advice on chest workouts? Please let me know! This is definitely my weakest area.