Why I made a New Year's resolution this year
Hey everybody! Those of you who know me pretty well know that I am not a big fan of the whole “new year, new me” nonsense. I understand the concept and I understand why the new year seems like a great opportunity to start fresh, but so few people stick with it after the first month or so. If you are one of those people who ACTUALLY turned your life around at the start of the year and maintained it, good for you! I am not by any means denying that it is possible. But, I think that if you want to get your life in check and make changes, it should be right when you make up your mind to do so and it should be something you work hard for EVERY SINGLE DAY.
Because of my mentality, I usually don’t make resolutions for the new year. But, this year I decided to break from my rule and try it out.
My New Year’s resolution is to take better care of myself. That’s it.
I have fitness and health goals, but those are already incorporated into my daily life. My resolution is a simple enough concept… I do not look out for myself much because I am too busy looking out for and caring for other people. This year, I am going to develop the habit of looking out for me.
Here are a few things I hope to make a habit:
- Washing my face every morning and night
- Always moisturizing my whole body (I have keratosis pilaris and it is about damn time I started to make an effort to minimize it)
- Reading and writing more often
- Taking a break when I need to (I recently cut my gym time down from 6 days to 5 days and I already feel so much better with the extra day of rest)
- Going back to school for a Masters or Professional Certification
- Learning more about the industry I work in and utilizing that knowledge in my career
There are many other things I would like to accomplish too, but those are the big ones. I think looking out for myself and becoming a priority will help me physically, mentally, and emotionally, and I cannot wait to see the habits I form and the improvements I see.
If you are the kind of person who makes resolutions every year, why do you do it? Have they worked out for you? Have they not? I can use all the advice I can get on making sure I am successful in changing my life, not just my 2018.